Please forgive my absence over the past couple of weeks but wedding planning has gotten a bit crazy but I’m back now so we can all enjoy the fruits of my labor!
Today’s post is all about antique chandeliers… and my current project. I’ve been completely engrossed lately by all the projects on the internets of antique chandeliers with modern face-lifts and when I spotted a brass chandelier on kijiji I couldn’t help but snatch such a great find ($35)!
Now of course I’ve lost my before pictures but I’ll add a similar looking chandelier on so you can get an idea of what I was dealing with. Here it is (please forgive the picture).
Almost immediately my fella was not impressed with the outdated, sure-to-not-hold-paint, brassy, brazen light but after showing him a few pictures of successful (and beautiful) revamped chandeliers he agreed it COULD have its benefits. Off we went to the store for a few cans of paint!
Now, even though I’m not 100% completed the project, it seems to be going incredibly well. Here she is so far.
Remember, the first picture is not an actual picture of the chandelier as I lost my “before” picture.
My first step was to remove the shades and toss them in the garbage since I don’t plan on having any shades on the chandelier after she has her makeover.
Step two was to clean all the dust off the chandelier and make sure it was completely dry. Any parts I didn’t want painted were taped off including the sockets for the lightbulbs (is socket even the correct term?) and it then it was time to break out the primer.
I used Tremclad’s Rust Paint Primer in a basic grey because I’ve used it before on other projects and really liked the outcome.
I had to spray the chandelier once, let it dry and then turn it and spray it again to make sure I got all the nooks and crannies of the chandelier – a bit tedious but I think it will definitely be worth it in the end. I’m completely in love with it already annnnnd even my fella is beginning to like it more now that she’s not so horribly brassy.
I don’t actually have an end for this post yet as the chandelier (I’m thinking about calling her “Marie”) is sitting in the garage waiting for her actual paint to be applied but I was so excited I had to write about it right away. I also can’t wait to show you what color she’ll be and what other use she’ll have (besides replacing the “boob” light in our bedroom). Stay tuned and I’ll be back later in the week to fill you in with Part 2!
Linked to these parties: